Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Cherries (?!?!) and Mountains!

Cherries - small, red, smooth, round, sweet, juicy - my enemy. That is, until now. I've heard your taste buds can change every 7 years and present you with new favorites you never thought you could have. In my case, cherries are my new favorite. I spent some time at the farmer's market when I returned from a rejuvenating vacation in Ruidoso, NM - and decided to give cherries yet another chance. Success! Sometimes you have to give things a second chance. :)  Another new discovery: home-grown, fresh FIGS! Tasted these wonderful little nuggets of joy at a friend's house, but was told they are hard to find fresh. Fortunately, my local farmer's market down the road sells them. I must make a trip very soon!

So, those were some very healthy discoveries made - at the same time, there was grace to prove I am human. On a few occasions. One occasion was a trip to Chik-fila yesterday for chicken nuggets and fries. They were de-li-cious! Something I have learned lately is the skill of having self-awareness, especially after satisfying a food craving that isn't necessarily healthy. While I experienced a state of unconsciousness with every bite of my meal - but afterwards, the self-awareness kicked in and I realized what I had done. It was the self-awareness afterwards that recognized this as a hiccup in my lifestyle change (give grace!) and move on toward completing two more spin classes at the gym. Looking back, I may have a few mistakes...but I choose to focus on my time spent at the gym. Saturday morning will be class number 4 for the week and I will have met my goal! Woo hoo! Self-awareness and being mindful of my actions are techniques I am so grateful for. They help me live in the moment instead of critizicising or degrading myself in times of weakness.  It simply reminds me that I can give myself grace and move forward.


On to the vacation in Ruidoso. I can't say enough about how grateful I am to have a friend like Ann who lives amongst one of God's most beautiful creations. Mountains. I am completely captivated when I look at mountain ranges. They seem to just sit there quietly and majestically. Our time hiking and picniking at various locations around Ruidoso was unforgettable. It was the perfect nature backdrop to spend catching up on our lives and re-connecting after graduate school. Now that we are licensed school psychologists, our conversations are less likely to focus on school work and can focus on how to help the kids. I'm am truly blessed to have Ann as one of my closest friends. Oh, and we also shot several guns at a toilet lid - because we aren't necessarily the girliest of girls. SO fun!!!



'Til next time, my little nuggets!
Linds


1 comment:

  1. I've noticed over the years my tastes have changed as well. When I was as kid, I ate massive amounts of balogna and now I can't stand it. On the flipside, I absolutely hated corn when I was younger and have a great fondness to it. Same as you with the cherries. I like the Rainier cherries.

    I like how you allow yourself certain liberties when you eat. Many people jump out the gate with the total food overhaul and quickly become overwhelmed and burnt out before it even has a chance show any signs of progress. According to Fender, what and how you eat is one of the biggest factor to health improvement. He sees and talks to people who eat junk all week and spends a lot of time an the gym with minimal results.

    I absolutely believe that you have come upon that happy and healthy middle ground rather quickly which is fatnastic. You will begin to see and feel amazing results faster than most to help you be the better you you desire to be. Truly a glorious temple.

    ReplyDelete