Monday, July 16, 2012

The Gracious Pantry

Well, well, well....good (and great) things come along when you least expect it. This may seem so trivial to some, but I do believe to have found a diamond in the rough. For a few weeks now, I have considered a healthy lifestyle change in regards to my eating habits. I want to try 'clean eating' - ish. I had the 'ish' because I am incorporating grace into my lifestyle. I would just like to become more aware of eating whole foods and 'staying around the perimeter' at the grocery store. No, this is not something that follows the influence of society or the latest 'fad'. My purpose is to provide my body with natural nutrients and avoid that 'stuffed' or 'bloated' feeling I have felt for far too long. Exciting to think about it, but I will be completely honest...I haven't started and am facing a week long vacation in a few days. Hey, the thought and awareness definitely count!

To help steer me in the right direction, I am looking online for various eating clean blogs with little success. I want a blog that is simple and does not include bazillions of detailed nutrition facts. Make it simple - what should I eat and what should I avoid (along with some yummy recipes to tap into my love for cooking). Well, I think I found a blog that fits my needs. It is called The Gracious Pantry (www.thegraciouspantry.com). I don't think it is a coincidence that the word 'gracious' is in the name! It really caters to clean eating beginners and simplifies it all for you beautifully. I'm excited to start using some of her suggestions. Peek around the blog - it doesn't seem too difficult! Motivation to move, on the other hand, a little harder. Two weeks ago, I moved about quite a bit during two gym classes (Spin and Body Works with Abs). I really love these two classes (and my gym partner, Ashley)! Last week, I avoided the gym like the plague...and instead, layed on the couch several times a week finishing Mad Men episodes on Netflix. Winston loved the cuddle time! Fortunately, Ashley and I are back! Body Works class is tonight and I'm ready to pump those muscles and stimulate those endorphins. Bring the burn - it's going to feel good. 

I can't complete this post without talking about my recent encounters with dear friends over the last couple of days. Relationships are incredibly important and fortunately, a select group of friends have enriched my life during this short time. Text messages, birthday dinners, phone calls, productive crying sessions, and encouraging conversations --- sometimes we forget to cherish these short moments in time and include them in the day to day 'happenings'. See, re-visiting these memories help in appreciating them and the people I share them with. Happiness.

Quote for a healthy laugh:   Wow, that Lean Cuisine really filled me up", said no one. Ever.




2 comments:

  1. Lean Cuisine fills me up. Of course I'm a glutton and eat 4x's more than the average person. So 4 Lean Cuisine' fill me up.Said Brian. Always.LOL

    Stick to the classes and continue to seek out the whole and natural states of food. We shouldn't need a degree to know or even PRONOUNCE the junk we eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would expect you to eat 4 Lean Cuisines, Brian. One, because you are a guy. Two, because you naturally need more calories than any woman. And three, you do burn quite a bit of calories throughout your day at work or on the weekends playing around with NWood folks. Thanks for the encouragement! I'm glad someone is enjoying my bits of thought here and there.

    ReplyDelete